Current:Home > NewsRekubit Exchange:Man with ties to China charged in plot to steal blueprints of US nuclear missile launch sensors -Capitatum
Rekubit Exchange:Man with ties to China charged in plot to steal blueprints of US nuclear missile launch sensors
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-07 05:20:23
A California man with ties to China has been arrested in connection with a plot to steal blueprints of nuclear missile launch sensors developed for the United States government,Rekubit Exchange the Justice Department announced Wednesday.
The files allegedly stolen by Chenguang Gong included trade secrets on technology used to detect nuclear missile launches and track ballistic and hypersonic missiles, which would be “dangerous to U.S. national security if obtained by international actors,” court documents obtained by USA TODAY said.
Two of three storage devices Gong allegedly transferred files onto still haven’t been found, Federal Bureau of Investigation agent Igor Neyman said in an affidavit filed in U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.
U.S. attorney Martin Estrada said Gong previously attempted to provide China with information to aid its military.
“We know that foreign actors, including the PRC (People’s Republic of China), are actively seeking to steal our technology, but we will remain vigilant against this threat by safeguarding the innovations of American businesses and researchers,” Estrada said.
Gong, 57, of San Jose, was charged Tuesday with theft of trade secrets, which carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in federal prison.
FBI: Two hard drives with trade secrets still not found
In January 2023, Gong began working at a company based in Malibu, California that develops technology used to detect nuclear missile launches and track ballistic and hypersonic missiles for the Department of Defense and other U.S. government contractors, Neyman said in his affidavit.
Between March and April 2023, Gong allegedly transferred more than 3,600 files from his work laptop to three personal storage devices, including files with trade secrets on technology for the military.
“These files describe the methods, designs, techniques, processes, specifications, testing, and manufacture of these technologies and would be extremely damaging economically if obtained by the Victim Company’s competitors, and would be dangerous to U.S. national security if obtained by international actors,” Neyman said.
In early April, as Gong continued transferring classified files, he accepted a job at a competitor company, Neyman said. Later that month, the company he was stealing files from terminated his employment after finding a flash drive, one of three storage devices Gong allegedly used to illicitly transfer files, according to the affidavit.
Seven days after starting a job at the competitor company, the FBI executed a search warrant at Gong's temporary residence in Thousand Oaks, California, where agents found the company’s files on some of his devices, Neyman said. But the two hard drives Gong allegedly transferred trade secrets on still have not been located, according to the affidavit, and Gong has denied knowing of the two devices, though he admitted to transferring some files to the flash drive previously found.
Man employed by defense contractor, indictment says
From 2014 to 2022, Gong allegedly submitted several applications to “talent programs” administered by the Chinese government, according to the affidavit. Neyman said China has established talent programs to find people outside of China who have special skills and knowledge that could boost the country’s economy, including its military.
During the same period, Neyman said Gong was employed by several major technology companies in the U.S. and one of the world’s largest defense contractors. In applications to China's programs, Gong allegedly proposed projects that mirrored his work for U.S. companies and said they would be useful to China’s military.
“The theft of trade secrets, especially of sensitive military technology, undermines our national security, erodes U.S. competitiveness in the global market, and harms the businesses and individuals who have invested time, resources, and creativity into developing innovative technologies,” said Donald Alway, assistant director in charge of the FBI Los Angeles field office.
"Our actions today send a strong message that anyone willing to steal proprietary information from U.S. businesses will face consequences in the criminal justice system," Alway said.
veryGood! (3973)
Related
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- Texas A&M fires football coach Jimbo Fisher, triggering record $77 million buyout
- Michael Strahan Returns to Fox NFL Sunday After 2-Week Absence
- Former Ghana striker Raphael Dwamena dies after collapsing during Albanian Super League soccer game
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
- 4 dead, including Texas police officer, during hostage standoff: 'Very tragic incident'
- Virginia State University officer critically wounded in shooting near campus, officials say
- Underwater volcanic eruption creates new island off Japan, but it may not last very long
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- The West is running out of water. A heavy snow could help, but will it come this winter?
Ranking
- Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
- Steelers' T.J. Watt passes brother J.J. Watt for most sacks in first 100 NFL games
- E-readers listen up! If you regret your choice, here's how to return an Audible book.
- No. 3 Duke basketball loses to Caleb Love, No. 11 Arizona in top-15 showdown
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- The Best Early Black Friday Activewear Deals of 2023 at Alo, Athleta & More
- The Pentagon identifies the 5 US troops killed in a military helicopter crash over the Mediterranean
- Dubai Air Show opening as aviation soars following pandemic lockdowns, even as wars cloud horizon
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Main Gaza hospital goes dark during intense fighting; Netanyahu says no ceasefire possible until all hostages released
Britney Spears' manager reacts to 'SNL' poking fun at 'The Woman in Me' audiobook auditions: 'Pathetic'
Former NFL cornerback D.J. Hayden and 5 others killed in crash in downtown Houston
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
Shaquille O'Neal's daughter Me'Arah chooses Florida over NCAA champs, dad's alma mater LSU
Fantasy football waiver wire Week 11 adds: 5 players you need to consider picking up now
Progressive Minnesota US Rep. Ilhan Omar draws prominent primary challenger